Conley Family Pages by CCHall
"Guilford" outside Frederick, Maryland
Guilford is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Guilford as it looked when Dr. Charles Henry Conley and his wife,
Helen Baughman Conley, moved in with their two children, Helen Abell and Charley.
Guilford is on land that was originally granted to Daniel Dulaney between 1743 and 1748 as Locust Level. Later it was divided and one part was sold in 1801 to James Smith whose daughter, Sara, married Col. John McPherson. After being owned by several members of the Smith family the property was sold to Worthington Johnson in 1834. After that it had several owners: David O. Thomas (1851 Upper Farm), David Boyd (1856), Basil Norris (1863), John Best (1884), Allen Rohrback (1902), James August (1904 Ellman).
Today Guilford sits within a small office park just across Interstate 70 from the city.
Rear view of the house (right) and the old smokehouse just to its left.
Back to Photo Index Page